Friday, July 27, 2007

How did I end up in Yellowstone?

Work and Travel USA Program.

I first came in the summer of 2005, with Speedwing as my agent. My job, as a server assistant (aka the person who pours water and clears the table and cleans it and resets it) sucked and my pay sucked but I honestly enjoyed myself most of the time, being away from the drudgery of life back in Singapore. And there is so much to do in this beautiful place, so many different people to meet, so many new perspectives to gain. So I chose to come back this summer, and I have not regretted my decision even for a moment.

This time, I came on the self-arranged program under ASK Management, meaning that I had to talk to Xanterra (the company operating Yellowstone facilities), plan my own flight itinerary etc, saving SGD300+ in the process. Not to mention greater freedom in planning. I came back to the same job of server assistant in same old Dining Room, Grant Village, Yellowstone National Park. I thought I would be picking up where I left off 2 years ago but so many things had changed: the whole management team, the Dining Room carpet and furniture, operating systems, and not a single person from '05 was here. The beginning was kind of rough: we were understaffed and overworked, people had already completed training together and formed cliques by the time I arrived, and I was the only foreigner in the entire front-of-the-house staff. But things got better rapidly. I started training as server (aka waitress) in my 2nd week, and did that full-time from week 3 onwards. Why is that such a huge improvement? 1) Much better money; remember that people tip here and the restaurant I work at is rather expensive. 2) Chatting with guests becomes part of my job, and I no longer feel like I am holding my server up or something. 3) I move between the front and back of the house and therefore get to know more people better. 4) It is simply more dynamic and way more fun. The kitchen and the other servers are rowdy and work is so much more enjoyable when there are people to monkey around with. 5) I pick up more skills, from dealing with people to alcohol knowledge, which I will otherwise not bother to learn.

6) Heavier responsibilities and therefore greater job satisfaction. Like, it just makes your day when people show their appreciation for you, not just in terms of bigger tips, but like, telling you about their day, asking you about your day, showing you pictures of their grandkids, offering free whitewater rafting trips, giving you candy, inviting you to visit them whenever you're in their state, or simply telling you how much better you made their day. And how some guests bother to remember your name when you don't even know theirs, and spend time filling out fancy comment cards for you. It also makes me happy when people who enter crabby leave all smiling and friendly.

So, although my job can be very physically taxing and frequently stressful, I think it's the best job in the park and I am happy =)

You should come to Yellowstone too!

2 comments:

E-flat Major said...

They can pronounce ur name ah... *I'm impressed*

Qiuyi said...

Hey girl..

So happy you are really enjoying yourself.

Your words made me wanna go also larhZ!

HA

Take good care